for last night’s dinner, i chefed* up a recipe for beef with broccoli i found while link skipping across my fave websites; as you can see by the photo above, it looks very yummy and the recipe quite easy.
it was absolutely delish! (and quite healthy, really).
this is a photo of my version:
i said ‘my version’ because i tweaked it… recipes are usually just a rough draft of what happens in my kitchen.
- i substituted red wine vinegar for the sherry because really… who has sherry in their kitchen?
- i halved the sugar and added agave syrup instead
- i added sesame oil to the marinade
- instead of corn starch, i used flour (side note: i couldn’t find corn starch and whole foods because they cannot find a non-gmo source. scary stuff)
- addition of sriracha to the finishing sauce just had to happen
- a sprinkle of fresh cilantro (my faaaave herb) as garnish freshened up the flavour and sesame seeds add a pop of texture
- i used low-sodium soy sauce
it’s is definitely a use-what-you-have-throw-together-perfect-for-a-weeknight meal. it’s also very affordable. i bet you could feed a family of four for under $10 with this one. you could also add rice for something even more satisfying!
*new word for ‘cooking’? maybe just when i’m trying to be fancy.